Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Dream Team

"It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."  ~Hank Aaron

     Welcome to another GET SOME Golf post! In today's post, I am looking into yet another controversial subject about the greatest players in the past and present; also out of those mentioned, I will create a Dream Team: if I were to play with a foursome, who would I choose to play with. Just a side note: the golfers presented are some of my favorites, they might not be favorites of others, but I enjoy watching and hearing about these golfers.

Sam Snead
Jack Nicklaus
     Starting off with golfers of the past that I highly enjoy, these are the great classics of the game that have impacted the game of golf and millions that play it in one way or another. It is pretty obvious to mention Jack Nicklaus as one of the greatest golfing legends of all time. Jack has played since he was a young child and even won two U.S. Amateur Championships while playing at the collegiate level for The Ohio State University. As a professional golfer, "The Golden Bear" won a total of 18 major championships and has since started and ran a successful golf course designing company. Another great golfer to mention about would be Sam Snead. "Slammin' Sammy Snead" has won more professional golf tournaments than any other professional golfer to this day. His record of 82 wins is still at the top with second place being Tiger Woods with 76 wins.

Left: Tiger Woods, Right: Phil Mickelson
     As for the greatest players in today's times, I would have to say that there are several very talented players. A couple of my favorites are Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods. Phil seems to play at his own level; the common thought of "What will Phil do next?" seems to cross spectator's minds as they watch him hit some spectacular shot out of trouble. He has won 41 tournaments, 5 being major championships. Not only does Phil do several charitable events and help children with less fortunate circumstances, but he also helps promote cancer awareness through his wife who is diagnosed with breast cancer. As for Tiger Woods, he will always be a great player; he has won several tournaments in past years and possibly will out do the number of major victories held by Jack Nicklaus. The current total is Tiger with 14 major wins. Though Tiger has had a rough spell from 2008 to now, he has slowly been improving overall and has won 5 tournaments in 2013.

     These players have made their mark in golf one way or another and I would love the opportunity to play with all of these professional golfers. My Dream Team would probably consist of myself, Phil Mickelson, Jack Nicklaus, and my dad. I love playing golf with my dad and even though he is not the best golfer, he still is fun to play golf with. So now I ask the same question to anyone out there: if you could play golf with anyone in the world (professional level or not) who would you play golf with? In other words, who would your Dream Team consist of? If you would like to put your foursomes in the comments, it would be greatly appreciated!

     Thanks for reading "GET SOME Golf!" Please pass this along to your playing partners!

No comments:

Post a Comment